The beautiful island of Oahu is home to many of the most popular things to see and do in all of Hawaii. Those of us who live here know and understand the importance of some of our local treasures. Those of you who don’t live hear; well, it is time to explore the island known as “The Gathering Place.” There is so much to see and do on the island of Oahu that one hardly knows where to start.
Oahu Statistics and Relevant Information
- Population: 953,304 (as of the end of 2010)
- Major Industries: Travel and tourism. US military and Defense. Construction, Government, Manufacturing and Agriculture.
- Currency: U.S. Dollar
- Size: A little over 600 square miles
- Nickname: “The Gathering Place”
- Flower: Ilima
- Color: Mele Mele (Yellow)
Interesting Facts About Oahu
- Iolani Palace is the only “royal place” in the United States.
- Oahu is the site of Pearl Harbor. The attack by Japan launched the United States into WWII
- Honolulu is the 17th most educated city in the U.S., with 34.7 percent of its population holding a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Aloha Tower was the tallest structure on Oahu in 1926 when it was built.
- Oahu is home to many popular television shows and movies.
- The beach in Waikiki is made largely of sand imported from the Big Island of Hawaii.