The amazing street art festival that takes places throughout the streets of Kaka’ako in Hawaii is back for 2013. Pow Wow Hawaii 2013 is just about here, and with its fast rise to popularity the street art festival should be bigger and better than ever this time around.
There was plenty to take in last year, but with the old saying being “the third time is the charm,” Pow Wow Hawaii 2013 has set itself up to really be a huge event. An estimated 100 or more local and international artists are set to participate in this year’s Pow Wow event in Kaka’ako. There is also new studio space and an established, dedicated set of volunteers in place. Pow Wow should be as dynamic and as big as ever with all that has been put in place.
Pow Wow Hawaii co-creator Jasper Wong said it best:
“We have double the walls, way more local and emerging artists, a lot of younger artists. There’s Pow Wow, and now there’s all these satellite events popping up.”
This statement just goes to show how far the Pow Wow street art festival has come in just three short years.
When asked the question “What is Pow Wow?” most have to stop and think for a minute, as it really represents so many things bundled up into one. Expression, art, coming together, uniting, feeling, experiencing, basically the list goes on and on. However, to really come to an understanding of what the event set out to be, you need only look back two years and see that Pow Wow Hawaii was set up to bring in local artists to paint murals at Fresh Café/Loft in Space in Honolulu. That event quickly grew to what it has now become, an gathering of local , national and international artists all coming together as a way of expression.
Pow Wow Hawaii 2013 will definitely be something to behold. All the information you need is below, so if you haven’t already experienced the event, then this year is a perfect time to get out and see what all the fuss is about.
Pow Wow Hawaii 2013
There will be a ton of different events going down this year during Pow Wow week in 2013 in Hawaii. Check out all the information below so you can be where you want to be at the right time. Enjoy the event.
- When: Feb 9th – 16th
- Where: Various spots around Kaka’ako. You can pick up a map at the Fresh Café/Loft in Space venue.
- Time: Varies, see information below for scheduled events.
- Cost: Most events are free, but some charge admission.
- More info: http://www.powwowhawaii.com.
Pow Wow 2013 Event Schedule
- February 9 Opening group art exhibition and live music at Fresh Cafe + Loft in Space – 6pm to 10pm
- February 10 Refinery Project party and art exhibition at the Waialua Sugar Mill – 6pm to 9pm
- February 11 to 16 Painting on the streets and live music – All Day
- February 13 Panel discussion and lectures at the University of Hawaii – 6pm to 8pm
- February 14 Chaz Bojorquez and OG Slick art exhibition at the M – 7pm to 11pm
- February 14 DJ Neil Armstrong’s Sweeet Mixtape 10yr Anniversary at Addiction – 12am to 2am
- February 15 Pangea Seed art exhibition at the Box Jelly – 6pm to 10pm
- February 15 Pow Wow Music Artist Panel featuring Christian Mochizuki, Compose, Mox, and more at Loft in Space – 6pm to 8pm
- February 16 Block party finale at Lana Lane Studios – 6pm to 12am
- February 16 Estria & Prime Exhibition + 1xRUN Showcase at Mahoa on 679 Auahi Street – 5pm to 10pm
- February 16 Afterparty at the Safehouse in the Republik – 12am to 2am
You can see a lists of artists that are scheduled to appear as well by going here.