Two boys from Konawaena Middle School have been taken into custody and charged with terroristic threatening in connection with a fake bomb seized at the school Wednesday.
Kona patrol officers went to the school Thursday afternoon in response to a report that school officials had taken what appeared to be a homemade bomb from the backpack of a 13-year-old boy on Wednesday. The device had been given to the 13-year-old by a 14-year-old boy, who is also a student at the school. It was put in the vice principal’s office.
Police called an Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal team from Oahu. Officials determined the device — an aluminum can with electronic parts and wires — was a fake.
Both boys were arrested at the school. After consulting with Hawaii County prosecutors, police charged them with first-degree terroristic threatening.
They were released to the custody of their parents or guardians pending appearances in Family Court.
Maj. James O’Connor of the Area II Operations Bureau said this incident is a reminder of the importance of communication between parents and their children.
“As a parent myself, I can’t stress enough the value of making ourselves aware of what our children are reading, writing and talking about,” O’Connor said in a news release. “A parent’s guidance can reduce or eliminate these potentially dangerous situations.”
This is just more troubling news coming from our youth in Hawaii.