The most notable road closures today will be the Nimitz viaduct and H-1 Freeway into Waikiki. The road closures are only expected to last until around 10 AM, however, this is tentative, and the city will keep all roads closed for as long as needed to et these world leaders where they need to go safely.
In addition motorists traveling in Waikiki should plan for new road closures and security restrictions that affect Ala Moana Boulevard and Kalakaua Avenue. You can also expect some major road closures this evening and into the weekend, as President Obama arrives. Closures out to Ko’olina will be happening this weekend as well, as President Obama and others head out there for meetings and a fundraiser dinner.
The city and county DOT is asking that all motorists be patient, and plan ahead as best they can.
Who is Arriving Today?
- Julia Gillard, the prime minister of Australia will touch down at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.
- A Philippines Airlines plane carrying President Benigno Aquino III.
- Chile’s President Sebastian Pinera.
- Brunei’s leader Sultan Sir Bolkiah Hassanal, whose motorcade left at 9:21 a.m.
- Arriving later today are the presidents and prime ministers of Malaysia, Japan, Canada, Korea and Mexico. President Obama is arriving tonight.
Police will close roads and freeways for President Obama, Medvedev and Chinese President Hu Jintao. The other world leaders will get security escorts to speed them through traffic.
Use the information below to help you navigate your way around.